Are you happy?
And do you feel successful?
These two questions are really what got me into this.
My answer to both was no, and my follow up questions to myself was, why? And, now what?
Why wasn’t I happy and why after multiple degrees and a “real job” did I still not feel successful?
They’re pretty uncomfortable questions to ask yourself. And to get the truthful answer, you’ll have to lower all your walls, skip the prerecorded answers you’re used to giving everyone who asks you “what do you do?”
Warning sign, if that question makes you cringe, something is up.
What’s scarier than actually answering those first two questions, is what your answers mean for you and your way forward. Do you ignore the truth? Stick your head back down into your life and continue on? Or do you do the brave thing, and wake up and find the motivated to live a life you love.
I reacted in both ways, the first was to continue on, but safe for a series of incidents in finding the wellspring of motivation I needed to not only get started but keep going.
Finding Your Motivation to Start
For years, I did everything but actually getting off my butt and walking (nay, running!) away from the life I hated to actually do it.
So, what changed? I was unhappy for a while.
I think about it now and I wonder if I was just impatient. Maybe I just couldn’t wait any longer? But, na that’s not really it.
I wanted more, I wanted to feel alive every single day, I wanted to follow my heart and build a life on my interests and talents. I wanted to work hard, but for myself. I discover if I could do, if I could ‘make it.’
The truth was I just could not live with the fact that I was spending all my days working in the suburbs while living in the suburbs. Like, really? Is this what I spent like 40k+ going to school for, getting straight As for? Sure, I could switch jobs, but I’d still be chained to a desk 9-5 every day with the added annoyance of a couple hours commute every single day. (No thanks, point me to the emergency exit please!)
My unhappiness turned to anger, but I didn’t stay angry, I got going!
I felt so demoralized, I felt cheated, I felt like a pleb or a cog (Badlands shout out), and like I was lied to for my entire life. Brainwashed maybe? That if I played the game of life, and scored all these goals, that I would be approaching 30 sitting pretty.
I think more than anything my age was a huge factor in choosing this path for myself. Something about nearing 30 is hella scary and sends you on this tailwind, a thunderstorm of a trip “inspector gadgeting” the heck out your life.
Why am I not here? Why don’t I have these things? Why am I so unhappy? Where are the success and fulfillment?
Here are 19 quotes that motivate you to start, to embrace your truth about your life and to make a change.
Give Your Life Meaning
1. “Life takes on meaning when you become motivated, set goals and charge after them in an unstoppable manner.”– Les Brown
2. “There are two primary choices in life; to accept conditions as they exist, or to accept the responsibility for changing them.”– Dennis Waitely
3. “What’s the point of being alive if you don’t at least try to do something remarkable.”– John Green
4. “Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”– Francis Chan
👉🏽 RELATED POST: 45 Uplifting Quotes for When You Feel Like Giving Up
Just Start Now
5. “There are 7 days in a week and “Someday” isn’t one of them” – Unknown
6. “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.” – Arthur Ashe
7. “The beginning is the most important part of the work.”– Plato
👉🏽 RELATED POST: 39 Amazing Quotes to Boost Your Confidence Right Now
8. “It’s the job that’s never started as takes longest to finish.” – J. R. R. Tolkien
9. “You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.” – Zig Ziglar
10. “A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.”– George Patton
Just Take Action
11. “Action is the foundational key to all success.” – Pablo Picasso
12. “The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity.” – Amelia Earhart
13. “I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.” – Leonardo da Vinci
Create Your Own Opportunities
14. “Nothing will work unless you do.” – Maya Angelou
15. “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” – Thomas Edison
16.”The best way to predict the future is to create it.”– Peter Drucker
17. “Good things come to people who wait, but better things come to those who go out and get them”– Unknown
👉🏽 RELATED POST: 6 Simple Secrets to Setting Achievable Goals
18. “Things do not happen. Things are made to happen.” – John F. Kennedy
19.”Opportunities don’t happen, you create them.” – Chris Grosser
Free Shareable Motivational Quotes👇🏽
How insanely powerful are all these quotes? It’s impossible to not do some serious reflecting and feel that fire well up in you to get you going. They are so perfect for sharing on social media.
I’ve created 10 beautiful designed shareworthy, quotes that motivate for you to use on your blog or social media.
This free download comes with high-resolution graphic quotes formatted just right for Instagram (square) AND Facebook/Twitter (landscape).
Share the motivation!
Attribution is not required, but of course, appreciated (@nadaliebardo). If you love these images, all I ask is that you share this post.
Fill out the form below to get your free shareable quotes that motivate.
What’s Your Motivation to Get Going?
So, what about you?
Are you happy? And do you feel successful?
I dished, now you dish. You don’t have to tell me, but tell yourself.
I was finally able to face my answers towards the tail end of my stint in the 9-5. Being honest with myself with what I needed to get moving (aka my OG motivation), and make better, dare I say truer, choices for myself.
Working a 9-5 is a choice, staying in a lifestyle or life that isn’t suited for you personally, is a choice.
Escaping that life, being brave and having faith enough in you to just get started, is also a choice.
It’s time to find your motivation to not only get going but keep going.
What’s your go-to motivational quote?
Get 10 FREE Shareable Quotes
+ weekly tips to keep you motivated.