Looking for famous Thanksgiving Day quotes for the family?
Happy Thanksgiving Day! May your day and life be filled with gratitude for all you have. Click here for 45 inspirational thanksgiving quotes for friends and family. #Thanksgiving #ThanksgivingDay #Gratitude Click To Tweet
On the fourth Thursday of November, millions of Americans gather with friends and family to share food. Many also share football.
With the Fall season in full swing and pumpkin pies and turkeys on full display, it’s easy to be thankful.
As we go around the table, we may say silly things we’re thankful for and in many cases we appreciate the meal we’re about to have.
What is Thanksgiving Day all about? Is it just food, friends, family and football, or is there more to it?
Despite the tragic origins of Thanksgiving between Native Americans and Pilgrims, this holiday above all others seems more popular than ever in America. Perhaps, it’s on some level committed to redemption, and ever-optimistic choosing to focus on the good.
“The good” is the prosperity and abundance that the celebrators have. It’s hard to feel anything but gratitude when faced with a table of Thanksgiving food and all fixins. In those moments, surrounded by our loved ones we feel great, and life is perfect.
But, please don’t stop there, think beyond the meal to your larger everyday life. There’s still more to be thankful for and gratitude to be had.
This Thanksgiving I encourage you to be truly thankful and share not just with friends and family, but those in need. Here are 45 inspirational thanksgiving quotes for friends and family.
Quotes about Living a Life of Thanksgiving
What is thanksgiving? Is it just a day or more than that? Thanksgiving is a way of life, it’s not only feeling gratitude but sharing and living it. This first collection of inspirational thanksgiving quotes for friends and family express the sentiment of Thanksgiving. Live the spirit of thanksgiving by showing others your gratitude and appreciation!
1. “Gratitude is the inward feeling of kindness received. Thankfulness is the natural impulse to express that feeling. Thanksgiving is the following of that impulse.” — Henry Van Dyke
“As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” — John Fitzgerald Kennedy
3. “Thanksgiving, after all, is a word of action.” — W.J. Cameron
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Gratitude Quotes for a Happy Thanksgiving
4. “We must find time to stop and thank the people who make a difference in our lives.” — John F. Kennedy
5. “Showing gratitude is one of the simplest yet most powerful things humans can do for each other.” — Randy Pausch
“Thankfulness is measured by the number of words. Gratitude is measured by the nature of our actions.” — David O. McKay
7. “To speak gratitude is courteous and pleasant, to enact gratitude is generous and noble, but to live gratitude is to touch Heaven.” — Johannes A. Gaertner
Inspirational Thanksgiving Quotes from the Heart
How should you feel on Thanksgiving Day? What can gratitude do for our hearts? Gratitude is a transformational virtue felt in the heart, not just by words. This collection of thanksgiving quotes for friends is all about feeling gratitude in our hearts and being thankful for our blessings. Think about this the next time you participate in Thanksgiving traditions like saying, “this Thanksgiving, I’m thankful for… “
“He who thanks but with the lips Thanks but in part; The full, the true Thanksgiving Comes from the heart.” — J.A. Shedd
👉🏽 RELATED POST: How to Manifest Gratitude from the Universe
9. “A thankful heart is not only the greatest virtue, but the parent of all the other virtues.”— Cicero
10. “Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has plenty; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.” — Charles Dickens
11. “Thanksgiving Day is a jewel, to set in the hearts of honest men; but be careful that you do not take the day, and leave out the gratitude.” — E.P. Powell
“The unthankful heart discovers no mercies; but the thankful heart will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings.” — Henry Ward Beecher
13. “We would worry less if we praised more. Thanksgiving is the enemy of discontent and dissatisfaction.” — H.A. Ironside
14. “If you want to turn your life around, try thankfulness. It will change your life mightily.” — Gerald Good
Give Thanks for Everything, Every Day Sayings
What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving Day? Do you appreciate every blessing you have in your life? The following inspirational thanksgiving quotes for friends remind us to be more thankful and grateful for all we have, not just one day a year, but every single day. Find the blessing and the goodness in every day, no matter how hard it is to find, trust me it’s there.
“What if, today, we were grateful for everything?” — Charlie Brown
16. “Give thanks not just on Thanksgiving Day, but every day of your life. Appreciate and never take for granted all that you have.” — Catherine Pulsifer
17. “You shouldn’t just give during Christmas and Thanksgiving you should be giving all the time.” — Alcurtis Turner
“Be present in all things and thankful for all things.” — Maya Angelou
20. “Thanksgiving was never meant to be shut up in a single day.” — Robert Caspar Lintner
Short Thanksgiving Quotes for Friends and Family
Who do you spend Thanksgiving Day with? No matter how alone or annoyed we can feel with our friends and family, we are all in this together. The next collection of famous thanksgiving quotes remind us that we need each other. Thanksgiving is about more than food, it’s about togetherness. If you’re feeling lonely, make new friends this thanksgiving!
21. “On Thanksgiving Day we acknowledge our dependence.” — William Jennings Bryan
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Valentine's Day Quotes for Friends
22. “I love Thanksgiving because it’s a holiday that is centered around food and family.” Marcus Samuelsson
“Forever on Thanksgiving Day, the heart will find the pathway home.” — Wilbur D. Nesbit
24. “After a good dinner, one can forgive anybody, even one’s own relations.” — Oscar Wilde
25. “If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the eons, it’s that you can’t give up on your family, no matter how tempting they make it.” — Rick Riordan
26. “If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.”― Mother Teresa
“Thanksgiving is a time of togetherness and gratitude.” — Nigel Hamilton
Thanksgiving Messages about Sharing What You Have
How do you celebrate Thanksgiving Day? What do you do to express your gratitude for all you have? So much of this holiday is wrapped up in gathering and eating, but what about sharing with those who don’t have? The following thanksgiving quotes remind us to share what we have with others. Open up your heart and your home to someone who doesn’t have family or friends to celebrate with.
28. “Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving.” — W.T. Purkiser
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Ways to Practice Daily Gratitude
29. “If you are really thankful, what do you do? You share.” — W. Clement Stone
“Thanksgiving creates abundance.” — Ann Voskamp
31. “Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.” — Ernest Hemingway
We Have So Much to Be Grateful For Quotes
What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving? Have you counted your blessings? When was the last time you took the time to be truly thankful for your life and all the blessings you have? These inspirational thanksgiving quotes remind us of just how blessed we truly are. This thanksgiving manifest gratitude from the universe!
33. “The thankful heart opens our eyes to a multitude of blessings that continually surround us.” — James E. Faust
“Thanksgiving is one of my favorite days of the year because it reminds us to give thanks and to count our blessings. Suddenly, so many things become so little when we realize how blessed and lucky we are.” — Joyce Giraud
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Autumn Quotes and Fall is Here Sayings
35. “Be thankful for what you have. Your life is someone else’s fairy tale.” — Wale Ayeni
36. “Thanksgiving reminds us that no matter what befalls us in life, we can take the charred remnants and we can reconstruct a life unimaginably richer than that from which the shards and pieces fell.” — Craig D. Lounsbrough
“When asked if my cup is half-full or half-empty my only response is that I am thankful I have a cup.” — Sam Lefkowitz
38. “Give thanks for a little, and you will find a lot.” — Hausa Proverb
39. “The more you practice the art of thankfulness, the more you have to be thankful for.” — Norman Vincent Peale
What is Thanksgiving Day Quotes and Sayings
What is Thanksgiving Day? Is the holiday all about and actually represent? This final collection of inspirational thanksgiving quotes for friends seeks to reveal the importance of the holiday. Thanksgiving is the most important holiday in America for a reason. What does Thanksgiving mean to you? Is it food, football, and family, or gratitude and thankfulness? Perhaps both.
40. “Thanksgiving is the meal we aspire for other meals to resemble.” — Jonathan Safran Foer
41. “Thanksgiving is a joyous invitation to shower the world with love and gratitude.” — Amy Leigh Mercree
“Thanksgiving is the holiday that encompasses all others. All of them, from Martin Luther King Day to Arbor Day to Christmas to Valentine’s Day, are in one way or another about being thankful.” — Jonathan Safran Foer
43. “There is one day that is ours. Thanksgiving Day is the one day that is purely American.” — O. Henry
44. “I’m from Canada, so Thanksgiving to me is just Thursday with more food. And I’m thankful for that.” — Howie Mandel
“Thanksgiving just gets me all warm and tingly and all kinds of wonderful inside.” — Willard Scott
Free 30-Day Gratitude Journal
Want to be more thankful this Thanksgiving? Get your FREE Printable Gratitude Journal, with 30 days of self-reflection prompts.
As much as Thanksgiving is a perfect day for feasting and family, remember it’s about more than that.
Thanksgiving is a day of gratitude, not just for what we have, but for our ability to help others!
Don’t be selfish with your blessings, but open your heart and share them with those who do not have. Just as you carve the turkey and share it among friends and family, so too should we all share the bounty of our lives.
We are blessed beyond measure. If only we had eyes to see it every single day, not just on Thanksgiving.
The act of sharing, and living a life of thanksgiving shares the hope of this day.
Wishing you a lovely Thanksgiving Day!
What thanksgiving quotes for friends is your favorite?