Looking for the best job search tips to get you hired?
Want to know what smart job-hunting strategies are?
Finding a job that fits your passion and satisfies you can be a challenging task. Unless you are in a field that is full of high demand, the whole process can be frustrating and a huge ordeal.
It is equally challenging for an older worker to look for a job, as it is for a fresh graduate. Also, a job-seeker, looking to change the industry they work in may find it hard without a proper structure.
The challenges are increasing, especially in 2021. The job statistics report says that:
- Only 43% of total companies are hiring as per usual,
- Another 43% are hiring people with specific skills for a unique position,
- And the remaining 14% are not hiring at all.
👉🏽 RELATED POST: How to Get Your Dream Job
That is quite frustrating, and thus, the need to enhance your job-hunting strategies is crucial. Especially, if you’re struggling financially.
But nothing in this world is impossible. With the correct job search tips and strategies, landing a fulfilling job, which improves your career is possible. With hundreds of legal job-hunting websites and employment offices, finding the right job can become a bit easier, if you also work on other job search tips that we will be discussing in this article.
The job search tips are for a fresher like a college student looking for a job and will work for someone looking for a change or who is, simply looking to refresh their memory. When you’re considering things like, “Can I quit my job?” it’s good to know how to find a replacement.
Let’s check out the best job-seeking tips and techniques.
General Job Search Tips To Remember
#1. Identify Your Career Goals
The first job-hunting strategy is to identify the career you want. If you are entering the workforce for the first time or changing industries, acquiring more information before jumping without thinking is better.
So, talk to experts in the field that you have chosen for yourself. Talk to family or go to a career counselor to see what job would be perfect for you. Get on LinkedIn, start making connections and reach out asking if they would be willing to share some wisdom with you.
How can I improve my job search?
For a newbie, it is imperative to enhance their job skills. They need to:
- Update your social media accounts, especially your LinkedIn profile. 93% of recruiters check social media before contacting you.
- Networking is imperative for a graduate, and it does help candidates secure 85% of all job positions. Your mentors, professors, or the person below whom you interned can help.
- Start freelancing work till you get a stable job. A 9-5 job is not mandatory to be your first. Having a resume with freelance work details does work in your favor.
👉🏽 RELATED POST: How to Be a Digital Nomad with No Skills
#2. Be Specific About What You Want
There are a lot of positions that may suit your skillset. But it is something that doesn’t interest you or only mildly interest you, don’t go for it. When you can fill an application or send out a resume for a post, which interests you. So, if you like it and are qualified for it, wasting your time on other posts is counter-productive.
All job-hunting websites, like Indeed or Monster.com, have this option. They let you select the posts you desire. They even help you come across jobs that match your needs if you use the right keywords. Make sure you fill out the sections regarding pay-scale and location, to avoid any problems.
How to know if you want a particular job?
To know if you like a job well enough to put hours in it, keep these job seeking tips and techniques in mind:
- The job and company should fit with your personal values,
- It should challenge you and aid you in learning new things,
- The work environment should be productive,
- It should give you time to enjoy your personal life.
👉🏽 RELATED POST: What to Do When You Hate Your Job
#3. Do NOT Stop the Job Search
It is the most important job-search tip that you should not avoid. Most job seekers make the mistake of stopping the hunt when they send out resumes to a few recruiters.
This mistake can blow you a job-hunting strategy as you cannot be sure that you will get a reply from any of the recruiters.
So, unless you have a few offers on your hand, stopping the job-hunting process is never ideal.
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Why You'll Fail to Create Your Dream Job
#4. Work On Your Resume
It is one job search tip that everyone knows but hardly pays attention to. Remember that your resume is one of the key elements to getting the job that you seek.
Did you know that at best, a corporate job position attracts 250 resumes? Only 4 or 6 people out of those resumes are called-in for the interview, with only one of those six persons getting the job.
It is the latest survey, and the emphasis on having an optimized resume is high. The resume you send out to recruiters or job-hunting websites is the first point of contact between you and the employer. And they only spend 6 seconds scanning it, so if it doesn’t provide tangible achievements, you will not get ahead in the process.
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Need to Escape your Toxic Workplace?
What mistakes to avoid while making a resume?
- Sending the same resume to every job posting. Every job is different and requires a specific skill set. So, before you send out one, update it according to the post.
- Sending the CV without editing because even a single spelling error can make the recruiter throw your resume in the trash.
- Not using keywords is another mistake you should avoid. The descriptions that the job post has, gives you a clue as to what phrases or words you can use. But also, do not spam the resume with too many keywords.
- Not talking about your achievements, but listing your responsibility is one of the worst mistakes ever. For instance, a Marketing head is not what the recruiter wants to know. They want to know what method you used to increase sales and what were the results.
Also, your resume needs to have a structure, and its design needs to be appealing and professional. A job-aspirant can achieve this with the help of LinkedIn or Canva resume builder. Both of these tools provide you with templates and guidance to create a professional resume.
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Things to Consider Before Quitting Your Job
#5. Organize Yourself
Every job seeker needs to follow this job search tip because the organization is the key to success. If you do not have a structure or aren’t able to keep tabs on how many resumes you have sent out, you will mess something up.
Maybe you will miss a deadline for sending the CV, or you may forget to practice job interview questions that you should have and more.
So, organize yourself:
- By creating a spreadsheet listing all jobs you have applied to, send resumes to, and so on
- Create a file with all the relevant job interview questions that a recruiter may ask related to the position you applied for.
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Should I Hire My First Employee?
#6. Do Research on The Company
This job search tip is one that almost everyone ignores or doesn’t follow through well. But you should!
The company who invited you for an interview knows everything about you. They checked your LinkedIn profile and other social media accounts. They also invest your financials or talk to your mentors or previous employees to get a sense of the person they might employ.
So, it is an exceptional job-hunting strategy to return the favor. Before your interview:
- Research about the company’s history
- Check the reviews online and read testimonials from previous employees
- Connect with few employees on LinkedIn and more
All this can help you in the interview, as well, because few job interview questions can be about the company.
👉🏽 RELATED POST: How to Find Work from Home Jobs
#7. Have a Social Media Presence
An account on LinkedIn for all job-seekers is a must. Also, be active on it and make connections to get further in your career. It is because 87% of all recruiters check LinkedIn for all candidates invited for an interview or job.
How to improve your LinkedIn profile for a job hunt?
- Use a professional image that shows mostly your face, not your body
- The headline can be more than your job title, it should describe your roles and responsibilities
- Do list all skills you have, and keep adding as you gain more
Also, be active on other social media, especially if you are in a creative field.
For instance, if your passion is photography, having a social media, like Instagram dedicated to your shots is imperative. It works as your portfolio and attracts clients.
One of the important rules of job hunting strategies for creative people is to make a portfolio to appeal to clients and customers.
#8. Be Prepared
You must prepare yourself by going through job interview questions and researching the company. But also be yourself. That means providing honest answers and saying what you believe.
Also, show that you care about the job by dressing up for it. Wear a formal dress with polished shoes and look your best because the way you look can boost your confidence.
Bonus Job Hunting Strategies
Not everyone searching for a job is in the same situation. Older workers and college students are in a unique position when applying for jobs. So, to help you land your ideal job, here are some bonus job seeking tips and techniques to keep in mind.
Job Search Tips for Older Workers
If you are an older worker looking for a fresh start or re-entering the work field, remember it’s never too late to get your dream job.
Here are few job search tips specifically for you:
- Emphasize your work. Older workers have tons of experience and that history needs to be in their application.
- An older worker will have quite many skills. Note them down and in the application for the job you seek, put down relevant ones. One job search strategy for them is to include transferable skills.
- If you are switching to a new field, you will be required to develop new skills. So, start adding them to your list.
- For older workers, who are beginning a second career, it is crucial to follow their passion.
Even if you’re nervous about putting yourself out there at an older age, know that you’re lived experiences are just as valuable as work experiences. There’s a wisdom that comes with age, and you possess that!
Job Search Tips for College Students
Are you a college student looking for a new job? Whether you’re still a student, or recently graduated, it’s never too early to start looking for a job. It can take as long as nine weeks to find a job.
Here are few jobs seeking tips and techniques specifically for students in college:
- Know what the job application requires. Every position demands a separate thing, like a resume or a portfolio. So, knowing this will come in handy.
- Try to make contacts by attending events and industry seminars. If you have a few contacts, activate them, so that they can help you with the job search.
- Sign up to most job-hunting websites, like Indeed to get more opportunities and be aware of new openings.
- Be persistent and patient. Finding the right job will take time and manage your expectations. Most newcomers start with less money and more responsibility, so be prepared for that.
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Best Side-Hustles for College Students
Start Using These Job Search Tips Today
What are you waiting for? If you’re unhappy with your current job, and can’t stop thinking about quitting your job, begin today. You don’t know what’s out there until you start searching and you might as well be prepared with your resume.
Or if you’re a college student or an older worker, now is the perfect time to update your CV.
A wise person once told me that you should always have your resume ready. You never know when opportunities will come knocking. Use these job seeking tips and techniques to make sure you can answer.
In conclusion, knowing your job goals are and working on these job search tips can improve your hunt for jobs.
These job-hunting strategies, techniques, tools, and hacks will work if you are honest about your skills. And continue to learn new things to enhance your resume.Want the best job seeking tips and techniques? Use these strategies to help you find and land a job, including tips for older workers and students by @dreamerkavita. #JobSearch #JobHunt #ResumeTips #CareerAdvice
What are some other job search tips?
More About Guest Contributor
Kavita is an Outreach Specialist and Content writer. When not glued to her laptop, she can be found making travel plans that rarely happen. Connect with Kavita on Twitter.
Last Updated on December 10, 2021