What are some famous love and romance quotes?
Are you in the mood for love and romance? Click here for 143 inspirational love quotes for him and her and sayings about romance. Isn't love beautiful? #LoveQuote #Romance #LoveClick To Tweet
Every time I think about love, immediately I start singing the lyrics to “What is Love” by Haddaway. “What is love, baby don’t hurt me…”
From the deep emotions to the burning passions, there’s so much to this simple four-letter word: L-O-V-E.
What does love mean to you? Is it the feelings of butterflies in your stomach when you see someone you like, or the moments your heart starts beating fast when they are near.
Is it you being unable to stop thinking about them, even when they aren’t near?
Perhaps it’s the way you unintentionally bite your lip when you start thinking of them?
There’s so much to love, to how we feel it, express it and what it means to us.
And with Valentine’s Day, it’s hard to not have love on your mind. Whether’s that’s thoughts of passions past, partner’s present or future flames. We can all admit that love is in the air.
There’s so much more to love than just the passion, the emotion, and the deep feelings. Love is life, love it living and love is being human! We can’t live this life without it in its many forms.
Don’t let heartbreak, hurt feelings, unrequited love or being single on Valentine’s Day stop you from opening your heart to love. The amazing thing is that love can happen at any time, with anyone. And these quotes will get you in the mood for love.
To celebrate love, romance and everything in between, here are 143 inspirational love quotes and sayings about romance. May your life ever be filled with the love of those in your heart. It’s what makes life worth living after all.
What is Love Quotes and Sayings
Do you ever wonder, “what is love?” What does it mean to be in love and to love someone?. This first collection of inspirational love quotes take on the impossible challenge of defining love. There is an indescribable quality to love, that even words can’t describe, isn’t there?
“Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.” ― Aristotle
2. “Love is our true destiny. We do not find the meaning of life by ourselves alone – we find it with another.” ― Thomas Merton
“Love is a canvas furnished by nature and embroidered by imagination.” ― Voltaire
4. “Love is metaphysical gravity.” ― R. Buckminster Fuller
👉🏽 RELATED POST: How to Manifest Love Using the Law of Attraction
5. “Love doesn’t make the world go around. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile.” — Fraklin P. Jones
6. “What is love? It is the morning and the evening star.” ― Sinclair Lewis
“Love is something you do for someone else, not something you do for yourself.” ― Gary Chapman
8. “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.” ― 1 Corinthians 13:4
10. “Love is the master key that opens the gates of happiness.” ― Oliver Wendell Holmes
Inspirational Quotes About Love And Life
What is life without love? How does being in love make your life better? The following inspirational quotes about love and life illustrate how to love is to live. How love is what makes life complete, full and vibrant. Love can awaken your life and you to all of life.
11. “We are most alive when we’re in love.” — John Updike
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Life-Changing Quotes on Dreams and Reality
12. “Love is life. And if you miss love, you miss life.” — Leo Buscaglia
“Love alone can rekindle life.” — Henri Frederic Amiel
14. “Love is the greatest refreshment in life.” — Pablo Picasso
15. “Where there is love there is life.” — Mahatma Gandhi
“One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life. That word is love.” — Sophocles
17. “Love cures people—both the ones who give it and the ones who receive it.” — Karl Menninger
18. “Love is, in fact, an intensification of life, a completeness, a fullness, a wholeness of life.” — Thomas Merton
19. “Love doesn’t erase the past, but it makes the future different.” — Gary Chapman
Emotional Feeling Love Quotes
What does being in love feel like? What does being in love do to you? It’s no surprise that love feels amazing. This collection of inspirational feeling love quotes describe just how wonderful it feels to be in love with someone. Are you love right now? You need to know the signs of love.
20. “At the touch of love, everyone becomes a poet.” — Plato
“It is the most wonderful feeling in the world, you know, knowing you are loved and wanted.” — Jayne Mansfiel
22. “If you have it, Love, you don’t need to have anything else, and if you don’t have it, it doesn’t matter much what else you have.” — James M. Barrie
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Inspirational Quotes About Making Dreams Come True
23. “When you love someone all your saved up wishes start coming out.” — Elizabeth Bowen
24. “Where there is great love, there are always wishes.” — Willa Cather
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” — Dr. Seuss
26. “There is only one page left to write on. I will fill it with words of only one syllable. I love. I have loved. I will love.” — Dodie Smith
Quotes About Love Being Unending
How much and for how long can you love someone? Does love ever really end? The inspirational quotes about love and romance seek to tell us about the unending nature of love. Love may be the only truly immortal part of life.
27. “Love is space and time measured with the heart.” — Marcel Proust
“The bank of love is never bankrupt.” ― Steve Maraboli
29. “Nobody has ever measured—not even poets—how much love the human heart can hold.” — Zelda Fitzgerald
30. “Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart.” — Washington Irving
“What love we’ve given, we’ll have forever. What love we fail to give, will be lost for all eternity.” — Leo Buscaglia
32. “Each time you love, love as deeply as if it were forever.” — Audre Lorde
33. “We loved with a love that was more than love.” — Edgar Allan Poe
“We always believe our first love is our last, and our last love our first.” — George W. Melville
35. “Love is the emblem of eternity; it confounds all notion of time; effaces all memory of a beginning, all fear of an end.” — Madame de Stael
36. “What will survive of us is love.” — Philip Larkin
Being in Love Is Madness Quotes
Are you madly in love? What does it mean to love someone madly? There is madness in love. This collection of inspirational love quotes explores the fiery, passionate and fierce nature of love. In a way to love is to be mad and out of your mind. Who do you burn for?
“To love is to burn, to be on fire.” — Jane Austen
38. “There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.” — Friedrich Nietzsche
“There is a madness in loving you, a lack of reason that makes it feel so flawless.” — Leo Christopher
40. “Love is a grave mental disease.” — Plato
41. “You call it madness, but I call it love.” — Don Byas
42. “When love is not madness, it is not love.” — Pedro Calderon de la Barca
“Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down your house, you can never tell.” — Joan Crawford
44. “Love is something sent from heaven to worry the hell out of you.” — Dolly Parton
45. “You know that when I hate you, it is because I love you to a point of passion that unhinges my soul.” ― Julie de Lespinasse
“Love is of all passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart and the senses.” — Lao Tzu
47. “This fire that we call Loving is too strong for human minds. But just right for human souls.” — Aberjhani
48. “Love in its essence is spiritual fire.” — Seneca
Romantic Quotes About Kissing
What exactly is kissing? What makes kissing so romantic and passionate? The following inspirational quotes about love and romance express the passion and power of sharing a kiss with someone you love. Humans have a long history of kissing one another.
“What is a kiss? Why this, as some approve: The sure, sweet cement, glue, and lime of love.” — Robert Herrick
50. “A kiss is a secret told to the mouth instead of the ear; kisses are the messengers of love and tenderness.” — Ingrid Bergman
51. “The sound of a kiss is not so loud as that of a cannon, but its echo lasts a great deal longer.” — Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
52. “A man’s kiss is his signature.” — Mae West
53. “A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous.” — Ingrid Bergman
“Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.” – Albert Einstein
55. “Kisses, even to the air, are beautiful.” — Drew Barrymore
57. “Kisses are a better fate than wisdom.” — E. E. Cummings
Funny Quotes About Love
Looking for funny quotes about love? Want to laugh about your love life? This selection of inspirational love quotes will make you laugh. They each share a comical side to being in love. Be honest, it is quite ridiculous being in love. Those who are single with get a nice laugh with these quotes too.
“Love is an exploding cigar we willingly smoke.” — Lynda Barry
59. “Love is a game that two can play and both can win.” — Eva Gabor
60. “Love is only a dirty trick played on us to achieve continuation of the species.” — W. Somerset Maugham
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Quotes about Changing Your Life for the Better
61. “Love is like a virus. It can happen to anybody at any time.” — Maya Angelou
“What the world really needs is more love and less paperwork.” — Pearl Bailey
63. “Love is being stupid together.” — Paul Valery
64. “Love is the ultimate no-calorie sweetener.” ― Richelle E. Goodric
“If love is the answer, could you please rephrase the question?” — Lily Tomlin
66. “Love lasts about seven years. That’s how long it takes for the cells of the body to totally replace themselves.” ― Francois Sagan
67. “Love is like an hourglass, with the heart filling up as the brain empties.” — Jules Renard
Quotes About Love and War
What’s the difference between being in love and being at war? Who’s love is worth you fighting for? Some would even say that love is a battle. The following inspirational quotes about love and war, share how being in love can be a battle and a fight. Both are passionate, both are unyielding and both can wound you. Love is worth fighting for after all.
68. “Love is like war; easy to begin, hard to end.” — Ann Brashares
“Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle, love is a war; love is a growing up.” — James Baldwin
70. “Love and war, it seemed, worked by the same rules. One had to hurry, before the fires flared out.” ― Robin Oliveira
👉🏽 RELATED POST: How to Not Ruin Your Relationship
71. “We wanted the freedom to love. We wanted the freedom to choose. Now we have to fight for it.” ― Lauren Oliver
72. “I know you don’t love me. But I’m going to fight for your love. There are some things in life that are worth fighting for the end. You are worth it.” ― Paulo Coelho
“All’s fair in love and war.” ― Francis Edward Smedley
74. “Love and war always go together. They are the peaks of human emotion! Evil and good, beauty and ugliness.” ― Rick Riordan
Love is Ageless and Eternal Quotes
Do you feel too old or too young for love? Are you worried that it’s too late for you? There’s no age restriction on love. This collection of inspirational quotes about love and romance share the beautiful ageless and eternal nature of love. Love grows with age and time, it doesn’t diminish.
75. “Love can touch us one time and last for a lifetime.” — Celine Dion
“Age does not protect you from love. But love, to some extent, protects you from age.” — Anais Nin
77. “Love is something eternal; the aspect may change, but not the essence.” — Vincent Van Gogh
78. “The heart that loves is always young.” — Greek Proverb
79. “I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.” — J.R.R. Tolkein
80. “Love grows more tremendously full, swift, poignant, as the years multiply.” — Zane Grey
“People die, I think, but your relationship with them doesn’t. It continues and is ever-changing.” ― Jandy Nelson
82. “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.” — A. A. Milne
Inspirational Quotes about Romantic Love
What does it mean to be romantic? What exactly is romance and romantic love? These inspirational quotes about love seek to define romantic love. Romance is so much more than flowers, dates, and moonlight walks on the beach. You also don’t need to spend a fortune to be romantic and sweep someone off their feet.
“Romance is everything.” — Gertrude Stein
84. “Romance is the glamour which turns the dust of everyday life into a golden haze.” — Elinor Glyn
85. “Romance like a ghost escapes touching; it is always where you are not, not where you are. The interview or conversation was prose at the time, but it is poetry in the memory.” — George William Curtis
“The essence of romantic love is that wonderful beginning, after which sadness and impossibility may become the rule.” — Anita Brookner
87. “Romantic love is mental illness. But it’s a pleasurable one. It’s a drug. It distorts reality, and that’s the point of it. It would be impossible to fall in love with someone that you really saw.” — Fran Lebowitz
88. “I think romantic passion is wanting a little something in return.” — Oscar Isaac
“The curse of the romantic is a greed for dreams, an intensity of expectation that, in the end, diminishes the reality.” — Marya Mannes
90. “Romantic love is an addiction.” — Helen Fisher
The Difference Between Love and Romance Quotes
Are love and romance the same thing? How does romantic love differ from true love? The following inspirational quotes about love seek to explain the difference between love and romance. It seems they all agree, romance isn’t the same love. Love is deeper, less selfish than romance.
“Romance is tempestuous. Love is calm.” — Mason Cooley
92. “The romantic love we feel toward the opposite sex is probably one extra help from God to bring you together, but that’s it. All the rest of it, the true love, is the test.” — Joan Chen
“93. The more we are filled with thoughts of lust the less we find true romantic love.” — Douglas Horton
“Love is passion, obsession, someone you can’t live without. If you don’t start with that, what are you going to end up with?” — William Parrish
95. “I’m a romantic; a sentimental person thinks things will last, a romantic person hopes against hope that they won’t.” — F. Scott Fitzgerald
96. “In real love you want the other person’s good. In romantic love you want the other person.” — Margaret Anderson
Love Is Blind Quotes and Sayings
Do you have control over who you fall in love with? Why do we fall in love with someone? This selection of inspirational quotes about love explores the unexplainable nature of love. It’s true when they say that love is blind.
97. “Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye.” ― H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind. And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” ― William Shakespeare
99. “The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart.” — Helen Keller
“The heart wants what it wants. There’s no logic to these things. You meet someone and you fall in love and that’s that.” ― Woody Alle
101. “Love is like the wind, you can’t see it but you can feel it.” ― Nicholas Sparks
102. “When the person you love can’t see your love for them beneath the painful things you say when they reject you, remember this: Love is blind.” ― Shannon L. Alder
“Now I believe it when people say love is blind… because I must have been blind to love a person like you.” ― Mitch Cuento
104. “The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it. Sometimes love blinds us, other times it lets us see.” ― George Bernard Shaw
105. “The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing.” ― Blaise Pascal
“Love is like pi — natural, irrational, and very important.”― Lisa Hoffman
107. “If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?” ― Dorothy Parker
Quotes About True Love and Destiny
Does true love exist? What about destiny? The following inspirational quotes about love and romance define true love. They explore what makes love true, inevitable and meant to be. What do you think, do you believe in true love? Is it real, or just the stuff of fairy tales?
108. “True love stories never have endings.” — Richard Bach
“True love is rare, and it’s the only thing that gives life real meaning.” ― Nicholas Sparks
110. “If you love someone, set them free. If they come back they’re yours; if they don’t they never were.” ― Richard Bach
111. “True love is not a hide-and-seek game; in true love, both lovers seek each other.” — Michael Bassey Johnson
112. “The course of true love never did run smooth.” ― William Shakespeare
“Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.” ― Maya Angelou
114. “True love comes quietly, without banners or flashing lights. If you hear bells, get your ears checked.” ― Erich Segal
115. “There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment.” ― Sarah Dessen
Quotes About Love and Friendship
What do love and friendship have in common? Is friendship important for romantic love? This selection of inspirational quotes about love explores the role that friendship plays in romance. Can you love your friend? Is it a good idea to start dating a friend?
116. “Love is a friendship set to music.” ― Joseph Campbell
“All love that has not friendship for its base, is like a mansion built upon the sand.” ― Ella Wheeler Wilcox
👉🏽 RELATED POST: How to Make New Friends
118. “Friendship always benefits; love sometimes injures.” — Seneca
“A friendship that like love is warm; A love like friendship, steady.” ― Thomas Moore
120. “Love is friendship, friendship is love. If love fails, friendship should remain. For friendship is the foundation of love.” — Unknown
121. “Friendship may, and often does, grow into love, but love never subsides into friendship.” ― Lord Byron
“Love is friendship that has caught fire.” ― Ann Landers
123. “A friend is always good to have, but a lover’s kiss is better than angels raining down on me.” ― Dave Matthews
Beautiful Love is Like a Garden Quotes
How do you make sure your love blossoms, instead of withering? What’s the best way to grow your love? The following inspirational romantic love quotes describe love like a garden of beautiful flowers. They are share relationship and love advice to help your love grow.
124. “Love does not dominate; it cultivates.” ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
“Love planted a rose, and the world turned sweet.” ― Katharine Lee Bates
126. “Life without love is like a tree without blossoms or fruit.” — Khalil Gibran
127. “Love is like dew that falls on both nettles and lilies.” ― Swedish Proverb
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Happy Easter Quotes and Spring Sayings
128. “Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden the flowers are dead.” ― Oscar Wilde
“A flower cannot blossom without sunshine, and man cannot live without love.” ― Max Muller
130. “Love is the flower; you’ve got to let it grow.” ― John Lennon
131. “When I walk with you I feel as if I had a flower in my buttonhole.” ― William Makepeace Thackeray
“Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” ― Marcel Proust
133. “Now I believe that lovers should be draped in flowers and laid entwined together on a bed of clover and left there to sleep, left there to dream of their happiness.” ― Conor Oberst
Quotes About Being Scared to Love
Are you afraid to fall in love? Does being in love scare you? You’re not the only one. This final collection of inspirational love quotes and romantic sayings opens up about how scary love really is. Never be afraid to love someone, love is what makes life so special. Love strengths you and gives you courage.
135. “Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.” — James Baldwin
“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.” ― Lao Tzu
137. “We are afraid to care too much, for fear that the other person does not care at all.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
138. “To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already three parts dead.” ― Bertrand Russell
“Love casts out fear, but we have to get over the fear in order to get close enough to love them.” ― Dorothy Day
140. “Of all forms of caution, caution in love is perhaps the most fatal to true happiness.” ― Bertrand Russell
141. “Love will find a way through paths where wolves fear to prey.” ― Lord Byron
“I’m afraid love is just a word.” ― Harry Mulisch
143. “Love is scary: it changes; it can go away. That’s the part of the risk. I don’t want to be scared anymore.” ― Jenny Han
Get Your Self-Love Quotes
Don’t forget to embrace the most important love of all: self-love! It’s the beginning of all forms of love after all.
I’ve created 10 beautiful designed shareworthy, self-love quotes for you to use on your blog or social media. This download comes with high-resolution graphic quotes formatted just right for Instagram (square) AND Facebook/Twitter (landscape).
Love is such a beautiful thing and it’s meant to be experienced by us all!
Open your heart to love and show your affection to those you care about.
Which inspirational love quotes are your favorites?