Looking for motivational January quotes and saying? Want happy January quotes that are inspirational?
January marks the start of not only a new month but a new year! Cheers to new beginnings, fresh starts, and 365 days of opportunity and possibility!
It’s wondrous to think that January was not always the start of a new year, and still for many around the world it isn’t. The lunar new year, for example, isn’t until February 1st.
For centuries previous, March 25th celebrated the spring equinox, and December 25th had the honor of being the first day of the year.
That all changed when Numa Pompilius, a Roman king, made January the first month of the year, instead of March (for the Roman Empire anyways). Named for Janus, the Roman god of new beginnings, January officially began the first day of the new year.
In any version of the story, it wasn’t made official until 45 BC when Julius Ceasar instituted the 365-year calendar, naming January 1st the start of the year.
No matter the calendar, one ancient tradition hasn’t changed for thousands of years: we all celebrate the start of the new year and some still write new year’s resolutions.
Enjoy these January quotes and sayings for a fresh start. They’re perfect for calendars, bullet journals, or even Instagram captions.
Inspirational January Is Quotes
What is January to you? What is the meaning of the first month of the year? This first collection of motivational January quotes describes January for all that it is to us, from a month of dreaming all the way to a month of sadness.
“January is the month for dreaming.” — Jean Hersey
2. “No one ever regarded the first of January with indifference.” — Charles Lamb
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Short Happy New Year Quotes
3. “January is the Monday of months.” — Unknown
“January, month of empty pockets!” — Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
5. “January? The month is dumb. It is fraudulent. It does not cleanse itself.” — Anne Sexton
6. “Lots of people go mad in January. January is the third most common month for madness.” — Karen Joy Fowler
7. January is the calendar’s ingrown hair.” — Stewart Stafford
8. “Feeling a little blue in January is normal.” — Marilu Henner
9. “January was a two-faced month, jangling like jester’s bells, crackling like snow crust, pure as any beginning, grim as an old man, mysteriously familiar yet unknown, like a word one can almost but not quite define.” — Patricia Highsmith
New Beginnings in January Quotes
Feeling excited about a fresh start in January? The following inspirational January quotes and sayings are all about new beginnings. January 1st is the perfect chance to begin again. Use the new year as your chance to move forward in life.
10. “I love beginnings. If I were in charge of calendars, every day would be January 1.” — Jerry Spinelli
“Every moment is a fresh beginning.” — T.S. Eliot
12. “We spend January 1st walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives . . . not looking for flaws, but for potential.” — Ellen Goodman
13. “January is my favorite month, when the light is plainest, least colored. And I like the feeling of beginnings.” — Anne Truitt
14. “Welcome January: If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.” — 2 Corinthians 5:17
“JANUARY, The first month of the year, A perfect time to start all over again, Changing energies and deserting old moods, New beginnings, new attitudes.” — Charmaine J. Forde
16. “The magic in new beginnings is the most powerful of them all.” — Josiyah Martin
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Keep Moving Forward Quotes
17. “January looks forward to the new year and back to the old year. He sees past and future.” — M. L. Stedman
18. “Each day is a new beginning, the chance to do with it what should be done and not to be seen as simply another day to put in time.” — Catherine Pulsifer
Motivational Start of the New Year Quotes
Are you inspired by the new year? Ready to make the most of a new month. This selection of motivational January quotes fills you with joy and excitement for the new year. It’s a celebration! And the new year is a gift, receive it and unwrap it each day in January.
“Treat every day like it’s a new year because it is.” — Temitope Ibrahim
20. “Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
👉🏽 RELATED POST: New Year's Quotes for Friends
21. “Dear world, I am excited to be alive in you, and I am thankful for another year.” — Charlotte Eriksson
“New Year’s Day. A fresh start. A new chapter waiting to be written.” — Sarah Ban Breathnach
23. “The new year stands before us, like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written.” — Melody Beattie
24. “We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year’s Day.” — Edith Lovejoy Pierce
“New year—new verse, a new chapter, or just the same old story? Ultimately we write it. The choice is ours.” — Alex Morritt
26. “Every man should be born again on January first. Start with a fresh page.” — Henry Ward Beecher
27. “In January a man crawls into a cave of hopelessness; he hallucinates sympathies catching fire. Letters are glaciers, null frigates, trapping us where we are in the moment, unable to carry us on toward truth.” ― Carlene Bauer
28. “Every single year, we’re a different person. I don’t think we’re the same person all of our lives.” — Steven Spielberg
Happy First Day of the New Year Quotes
How do you celebrate the first day of the year? Do you ring in the new year with friends and family? The following collection of motivational January quotes illustrates how we should see ourselves as reborn in January. It’s a new year, new you after all.
“Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right.” — Oprah Winfrey
30. “An optimist stays up until midnight to see the New Year in. A pessimist stays up to make sure the old year leaves.” — Bill Vaughn
31. “What the new year brings to you will depend a great deal on what you bring to the new year.” — Vern McLellan
“And now let us believe in a long year that is given to us, new, untouched, full of things that have never been.” — Rainer Maria Rilke
33. “The object of a new year is not that we should have a new year. It is that we should have a new soul.” — G. K. Chesterton
“On the first of January let every man gird himself once more, with his face to the front, and take interest in the things that are and are to be, and not in the things that were and are past.” — Henry Ward Beecher
35. “You can get excited about the future. The past won’t mind.” — Hillary DePiano
Resolution Quotes for January
Do you believe in setting a new year’s resolution? These motivational quotes for January are all about the resolutions we make, break, and oftentimes do not keep. Did you know that most people give up by the second Friday of January, also known as Quitters Day?
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Unique New Year's Resolutions
36. “I think it would be more sensible if resolutions began generally on January the second.” — Helen Fielding
“No one has ever achieved financial fitness with a resolution in January that’s abandoned by February.” — Suze Orman
38. “January is the best time of year for gym owners. You all come. It’s great! And then, by Valentine’s Day, you’re not coming in anymore.” — David Kirsch
👉🏽 RELATED POST: New Year's Resolution Quotes
39. “If January is the month of change, February is the month of lasting change. January is for dreamers… February is for doers.” — Marc Parent
40. “January is always a good month for behavioral economics: Few things illustrate self-control as vividly as New Year’s resolutions. February is even better, though, because it lets us study why so many of those resolutions are broken.” — Sendhil Mullainathan
“New Year’s resolutions have always been something to beat myself up with by the second week of January. It seems perverse to set yourself up for failure right at the start of the year.” — Romesh Ranganathan
42. “I’ll never understand why everybody puts so much emphasis on January first. There are three hundred and sixty-four other days in the year that you can make a change.” — Elizabeth Eulberg
“But then I do think New Year’s resolutions can’t technically be expected to begin on New Year’s Day, don’t you?” — Helen Fielding
43. “I think in terms of the day’s resolutions, not the year’s.” — Henry Moore
44. “Somewhere along the way, I realized that the new year doesn’t begin for me in January.” — Betsy Cañas Garmon
Things to Do in January Quotes
How do you spend January? What January traditions do you have? The next collection of January quotes is all about what to do in January. It can be a melancholy month if you let it. Perhaps these quotes inspirational will cheer you up.
“The first day of January always presents to my mind a train of very solemn and important reflections and a question more easily asked than answered frequently occurs viz: How have I improved the past year and with [what] good intentions do I view the dawn of its successor?” — Charlotte Brontë
👉🏽 RELATED POST: New Year Reflection Questions
47. “Welcome January: January is a time of quiet and new beginnings – is the perfect time to reflect on how you want to live your life. January is the perfect time to refocus on your priorities and set goals.” — Unknown
“You can’t party all the time – especially in January!” ― Neon Hitch
49. “If there was a pill I could take in January and then I wouldn’t have to eat again for the rest of the year, I would take it. Of course, I wouldn’t want to sacrifice my chocolate cake and ice cream.” ― Steven Wright
50. “I like starting projects in January. That’s the best time to start something. It’s so inward.” — Carolyn Chute
“In January we start saving money, getting out of credit card debt, funding our retirement accounts, and we’re doing wonderful.” ― Suze Orman
52. “I work hard on New Year’s eve as I perform at shows. And then round it off by spending a lazy day on January 1st.” ― Mahima Chaudhry
53. “January is the quietest month in the garden… But just because it looks quiet doesn’t mean that nothing is happening.” — Rosalie Muller Wright
54. “Plant carrots in January and you’ll never have to eat carrots.” — Gardening Saying
55. “January is the garbage can of movies in America, directly after all the Oscar contenders have been out.” — Michael Caine
“January 26th. The day when nothing remarkable happens to anyone else.” — Ashley Newell
57. “Married when the year is new, he will be loving, kind and true… Married in January’s roar and rime, widowed you’ll be before your prime.” — New Zealand proverb
It’s Cold in January Sayings
Are you a winter person? Do you like the cold? I sure hope so because the following January quotes remind us of just how freezing January can be in the northern hemisphere. Some windy, cold, icy and often dark days could be ahead.
“It’s January and I’m kicking snow off the ground.” ― Charlotte Eriksson
59. “It is deep January. The sky is hard. The stalks are firmly rooted in ice.” — Wallace Stevens
👉🏽 RELATED POST: 110 Inspirational Winter Quotes
60. “January brings the snow, makes our feet and fingers glow.” — Sara Coleridge
61. “Leaving a bookstore is hard, especially on a day in January, when the ice is treacherous, the wind is blowing, and the books inside seem to gather together in colorful warmth.” — Jane Smiley
“Like January weather, The years will bite and smart, And pull your bones together To wrap your chattering heart.” — Dorothy Parker
63. “There are two seasonal diversions that can ease the bite of any winter. One is the January thaw. The other is the seed catalogs.” — Hal Borland
64. “January is here, with eyes that keenly glow, a frost-mailed warrior striding a shadowy steed of snow.” — Edgar Fawcett
65. “Through the chill of December the early winter moans… but it’s that January wind that rattles old bones.” — John Facenda
66. “You’d be so lean, that blasts of January. Would blow you through and through.” ― William Shakespeare
67. “Bare branches of each tree on this chilly January morn look so cold so forlorn. Gray skies dip ever so low left from yesterday’s dusting of snow. Yet in the heart of each tree waiting for each who wait to see new life as warm sun and breeze will blow, like magic, unlock springs sap to flow, buds, new leaves, then blooms will grow.” — Nelda Hartmann
68. “Little January Tapped at my door today. And said, ‘Put on your winter wraps, And come outdoors to play.’ Little January Is always full of fun; Until the set of sun. Little January Will stay a month with me And we will have such jolly times – Just come along and see.” — Winifred C. Marshall
January Around the World Quotes
What’s January like where you live? This selection of motivational January quotes explores January weather around the world. Where you do not only determine your mood for this first month but how enjoyable it is for you. Let’s see these as love quotes for January!
“I love the Mediterranean for the fact that winter is over in a minute, and the almond blossom arrives in January.” — Jade Jagger
70. “January is the coolest month of the year for most of the Caribbean. . . daytime highs are typically comfortably hot, while the nights remain warm.” — Liz Osborn
71. “I miss everything about Chicago, except January and February.” – Gary Cole
72. “If you go to Minnesota in January, you should know that it’s gonna be cold. You don’t panic when the thermometer falls below zero.” – Peter Lynch
73. “In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.” — Albert Camus
74. “There’s something I love about how stark the contrast is between January and June in Sweden.” — Bill Skarsgard
January is Unlike Any Other Month Quotes
What’s your favorite month of the year? This final selection of motivational quotes for January compares it to all the other months of the year. No matter how you feel about January, you must admit it’s special and unique. These are also perfect January funny quotes.
75. “Let January open with the joy in the Lord, and December close with gladness in Jesus.” — Charles H. Spurgeon
76. “I blink January’s lashes and gush down December’s cheeks.” — Sanober Khan
“The shortest day has passed, and whatever nastiness of weather we may look forward to in January and February, at least we notice that the days are getting longer.” — Vita Sackville-West
78. “Dickensian poverty tends to occur after Christmas in January. For it is then, with pockets empty, diary decimated and larder bare, that the general populace sinks into a collective pauper’s hibernation until Valentine’s Day.” – Stewart Stafford
79. “To read a poem in January is as lovely as to go for a walk in June.” — Jean Paul
“Summer is a promissory note signed in June, its long days spent and gone before you know it, and due to be repaid next January.” – Hal Borland
81. “Call it ‘the New Year’s resolution effect’— it’s why gyms that were crowded in January are only half full in July and why so many slightly used guitars are available on Craigslist.” — Anders Ericsson
“If I had my way, I’d remove January from the calendar altogether and have an extra July instead.” — Roald Dahl
Inspirational Black & White Wall Art Quotes
Loving these January quotes and sayings? Here are 10 beautiful printable black and white art quotes that are perfect for your office, bedroom, or wherever you need the reminder to live an inspired life. Each design features a brushed ink letter detailing.
This download comes with 10 high-resolution graphics ready to be printed, framed, and posted.
Love it or hate it, January is here! January looks forward to all you will achieve and dream this year. 31 days to begin again, to have your own fresh start. Let these inspirational quotes motivate you.
See each day as a new beginning and keep the magic of the new year alive throughout the month.
Happy January and happy new year to you!
Happy January! Celebrate the start of the new year! Click here for 82 motivational January quotes and saying. They're perfect for calendars or bullet journals. #January #JanuaryGreetings #JanuaryQuotes #WelcomeJanuary
Which January quotes and sayings do you love?
Last Updated on February 6, 2022