Need short quotes to calm down when freaking out? Looking for quotes about calming down when angry?
Yet another stressful day at home, school, or at the office. For some of us, all three. Can’t we catch a break can you?
The stress, overwhelm, worries, and the like that you face daily can have you on edge. You’re a powder keg, ready for just the slightest spark to set you off.
Today it could be the person bumping into you as you walk down the street, the coworker who keeps asking you for help, or even your kids playing loudly. Who will it be today? What will spark your anger?
The problem with not having your anger under control is that no one, including you, is safe. When you’re unable to stay calm and in control of your thoughts or emotions, any circumstance can be a trigger.
The solution isn’t so much about learning how to not be so quick to anger, but to remain calm no matter what. Anger is your reaction, but calmness can be your protection.
To have an inner peace that protects you from bursts of anger, as well as festering emotions that build over time until it spills over. So no matter what happens, no matter how intense, how chaotic, you’re calm and in complete control. Wouldn’t that be wonderful?
If you’re ready to learn more about being calm, here are 130 quotes about calming down when angry, but also about how to build up your calmness. Even just a few min read can help you calm down.
Learn To Let Go In Life Quotes
Do you need to learn how to let go? Always holding onto past experiences or grudges? This first selection of quotes about calming down when angry is here to encourage you to just let go. It’s unhealthy to not let go of things. What can you let go of?
“Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.” — Oprah Winfrey
2. “The day she let go of the things that were weighing her down, was the day she began to shine the brightest.” — Katrina Mayer
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Let Go Of Anger and Bitterness
3. “Feelings are just visitors, let them come and go.” — Mooji
4. “If it comes, let it come. If it goes, it’s ok, let it go. Let things come and go. Stay calm, don’t let anything disturb your peace, and carry on.” — Germany Kent
5. “Sometimes I think there are only two instructions we need to follow to develop and deepen our spiritual life: slow down and let go.”― Oriah Mountain Dreamer
6. “You must learn to let go. Release the stress. You were never in control anyway.” ― Steve Maraboli
“Inner peace can be reached only when we practice forgiveness. Forgiveness is letting go of the past, and is therefore the means for correcting our misperceptions.” ― Gerald G. Jampolsky
8. “In calmness, we find the space to breathe and let go.” ― Unknown
Calm Minds Are Powerful Quotes
Is your mind calm or chaotic? Do your thoughts control you? The following quotes about being calm when angry quotes explain how a calm mind is powerful. You don’t have to let your thoughts control you, you can learn to take control of your mind. You can even train your subconscious mind, too!
9. “Calmness is the cradle of power.” ― Josiah Gilbert Holland
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Quotes About Staying Calm in a Crisis
10. “A calm mind is a powerful mind.” ― Catherine Pulsifer
“The calmest person in the room has the greatest presence.” ― Nikki Rowe
12. “The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another.” — William James
13. “In calmness, we discover the power of acceptance.” ― Haemin Sunim
14. “The greatest antidote to stress is a calm mind.”― Rasheed Ogunlaru
“Calm mind brings inner strength and self-confidence, so that’s very important for good health.” — Dalai Lama
16. “In calmness, we find the power to overcome any storm.” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
17. “In silence and calmness, we find our true strength.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
“The calmest minds are the most productive minds.” ― Wayne Gerard Trotman
19. “Calmness is the key to unlocking the infinite potential that lies within us.” ― Eileen Caddy
👉🏽 RELATED POST: 5 Ways to Manage Stress in the Workplace
20. “A calm mind is a magnet for positive energy.” ― Doreen Virtue
21. “In calmness lies our true strength and resilience.” ― Jocelyn Soriano
Be Calm Like… Quotes And Sayings
Want examples of what it means to be calm? Ready to become a more calm version of yourself? This selection of quotes about calming down when angry illustrates what being calm looks like. Find that stillness and quietness within you.
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Quotes About Being Calm Under Pressure
22. “Be calm like a calm lake, then you will look beautiful like a beautiful calm lake!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
23. “Don’t let the rain drive you to the wrong shelter; the shade can turn out to be your protector and also your destroyer, and sometimes the rain is the perfect protector from the rain.” ― Michael Bassey Johnson
“Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it.” ― Bruce Lee
25. “Be calm, be strong, be grateful, and become a lamp full of light, that the darkness of sorrows be annihilated, and that the sun of everlasting joy arise from the dawning-place of heart and soul, shining brightly.” ― Abdu’l-Bahá
26. “A man of calm is like a shady tree. People who need shelter come to it.” ― Toba Beta
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Mindfulness Meditation Quotes for Stress
27. “Be calm and silent, like the trees and flowers.” ― Unknown
28. “Be calm like a calm river, then you will look peaceful on the outside but deep down inside your heart, you will be full of energy!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
Stay Calm With Meditation and Breathing Quotes
Is your mind calm or chaotic? Do your thoughts control you? The next calming quotes share the benefits of meditation and breathing for building calmness. You can start your own calming down practice today with a few deep breathing exercises.
“I just focus on taking a deep breath, staying calm, and not trying to make the situation bigger than it is.” — Zach Ertz
30. “One of the things I have been getting into is meditation. Sometimes it is just 5-10 minutes per day, lying on my bed and listening to a meditation app on my phone to try to calm my mind.” ― Jos Buttler
31. “Meditation is about getting to a place where you’re approaching things in a more calm, centering place rather than allowing yourself to get caught up in it.” ― Tony Cardenas
👉🏽 RELATED POST: How to Meditate for Beginners
32. “Meditation helps me to calm down.” ― Lady Gaga
33. “I thought when I started meditation that I was going to get real calm and peaceful and it’s going to be over. It’s not that way; it’s so energetic. That’s where all the energy and creativity is.” ― David Lynch
34. “I meditate so I know how to find a peaceful place within to be calm and peaceful.” — Roseanne Barr
35. “Breathing is central to every aspect of meditation training. It’s a wonderful place to focus in training the mind to be calm and concentrated.” ― Jon Kabat-Zinn
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Mindfulness Activities to Stop Living in Crisis Mode
36. “Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky. Conscious breathing is my anchor.” — Thich Nhat Hanh
“I feel like saying we need to all calm down a little. Let’s take the time to breathe. I have no intention of allowing myself be distracted.” ― Pauline Marois
38. “Breath is the power behind all things. I breath in and know that good things will happen.” — Tao Porchon-Lynch
Do Yoga or Exercise To Stay Calm Quotes
Looking for more ways to stay calm every day? To avoid getting angry? These quotes about calming down are all about yoga and exercising. You can start exercising today even if it’s been a long time. There are so many benefits to yoga, walking, running, and even stretching, and breathing.
39. “Yoga gave me the ability to calm down.” — Christy Turlington
“I used to get nervous so I took up Yoga to help me calm down.” — Jim Sullivan
41. “I wouldn’t say I’m addicted, but I never, ever skip yoga. I use it to calm down and slow down.” — April Gornik
“Yoga is bringing suppleness in body, calmness in mind, kindness in heart and awareness in life.” — Amit Ray
43. “I began by doing physical yoga, initially just for the workout, as exercise. I would get peaceful and calm at the end of it, and I was curious about that.” — Mariel Hemingway
44. “On game days, I do yoga as just a really short routine. It’s more to warm up and to calm down in the morning.” — Christen Press
45. “My day typically starts with an early-morning walk through Central Park. It’s a nice moment of calm before my routine starts.” — Aerin Lauder
Other Ways To Calm Down Quotes
How do you calm down when aggravated or angry? What helps you to relax and let it go? The following collection of quotes about calming down shares even more ways for you to calm down. Find what works for you, don’t just let the anger take over your life.
“I always teach myself calm and visualization stuff.” — Conor McGregor
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Examples of Mindfulness in Everyday Life
47. “I practice staying calm all the time, beginning with situations that aren’t tense.” ― Martha Beck
48. “I eat every two hours. I sleep for eight hours. I have lots of water. I pray to keep calm. Most importantly, I have a smile on my face.” — Vidya Balan
49. “When I start my mornings, I put some essential oils in a diffuser; it might be orange blossom or jasmine to energize and spruce me up or lavender at night to really calm me down.” — Katie Lowes
“Horses calm me. I love being around them. They smell great, they are beautiful to look at, they are loving, demanding, temperamental, and they settle you.” — Shania Twain
51. “Libraries are reservoirs of strength, grace and wit, reminders of order, calm and continuity, lakes of mental energy, neither warm nor cold, light nor dark.” — Germaine Greer
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Mindful Coffee Meditation
52. “Reading poetry gives me a sense of calm, well-being, and love for humanity – the same stuff more flexible women get from yoga.” — J. Courtney Sullivan
53 “Food can change your mood. It’s almost like music a little bit, you know? It can break a fight. It could calm a child down. It could do so many things, and that’s what I love.” — Tiffani Thiessen
Write About Your Feelings Quotes
Want to know why you’re feeling angry? You’ve got to write it out! This collection of quotes about calming down when angry explores the practice of journaling. Writing your feelings down can help you process them and understand what’s really triggering you. Clarity can lead to calmness.
👉🏽 RELATED POST: How to Start a Daily Journal
54. “It may sound lame, but I’ve been journaling since I was in third grade. I love it! It makes me feel calm and happy.” — Brittany Snow
55. “I like to write when things are calm – and when I’m not worried about my well-being, the well-being of those I love.” — Sabaa Tahir
“I write a lot because, if I don’t, I start to panic, and I calm down when I write.” — Theresa Rebeck
57. “My wife likes me better when I’m writing. It centers me and makes me more calm. When I go a long time without writing, I start getting frustrated.” — Jonás Cuarón
Use Music to Calm Down Quotes
Did you know that music affects your mood? The coming quotes about calming down in life explore the role that music can play. What you hear can either pull you back or push you over the edge. What’s on your playlist?
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Improve Your Mood And Energy Quickly
58. “We all have our daily prescription of yoga, football, religion, or whatever gets us through that day. My thing is music. It’s the only thing that gives me a sense of calm and balance. It’s the thing I know I’m good at.” — Richard Ashcroft
“I love to have a bath with beautiful, relaxing music on and have no rush to do anything. It’s a wonderful indulgence, and it helps me to calm down and stop my mind running overtime.” — Kylie Minogue
60. “Music is a great part of my life. It helps me relax and keep calm whenever I am not boxing.” — Joseph Parker
61. “When I sing, I feel calm.” — Domino Kirke
62. “Everybody should have his personal sounds to listen for – sounds that will make him exhilarated and alive or quiet and calm.” — Andre Kostelanetz
63. “Keep calm and let your heart sing the song of kindness.” — Debasish Mridha
64. “Beautiful music is the art of the prophets that can calm the agitations of the soul; it is one of the most magnificent and delightful presents God has given us.” — Martin Luther
Be Calm Withing Yourself Quotes
Can you calm yourself down? Do you find peace within yourself? The following selection of keep calm when you are angry quotes speak to finding a place within yourself that is peaceful. Yes, it’s all about finding inner peace.
“I feel calm when I’m on my own.” — Ray LaMontagne
66. “Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.” — Hermann Hesse
👉🏽 RELATED POST: How to Stop Thinking Negatively About Yourself
67. “In the midst of movement and chaos, keep stillness inside of you.” — Deepak Chopra
68. “Be calm and strong amid all the noise and confusion around you.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
“The one who is calm in the midst of chaos is the one who has found inner peace.” — Byron Pulsifer
70. “Be calm in your heart. Do not let others disturb your peace.” — Roy T. Bennett
71. “When you encounter turbulence, remind yourself to find your calm within.” — Lalah Delia
72. “It was only from an inner calm that man was able to discover and shape calm surroundings.” — Stephen Gardiner
Find A Calming Place Quotes
Where do you go when you’re upset? When your emotions are out of control? The next quotes about calming down when angry or freaking out illustrates the power of finding your place. Whether that’s a place in your home, like creating a meditation space, or somewhere outside in nature, find one. And do you need to declutter your home so your space is less triggering?
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Quotes about Change in Life and Moving On
73. “When one tunes in into nature’s frequency, life becomes change, change becomes hope!” ― Aniekee Tochukwu Ezekiel
74. “I long for the countryside. That’s where I get my calm and tranquillity – from being able to come and find a spot of green.” — Emilia Clarke
75. “There will be calmness, tranquillity when one is free from external objects and is not perturbed.” ― Bruce Lee
76. “In a small space, you want to keep the bedding as simple as possible so it looks clean, calm and collected.” — Nate Berkus
“One of my most important ‘Secrets of Adulthood’: Outer order contributes to inner calm.” — Gretchen Rubin
78. “Step outside for a while — calm your mind. It is better to hug a tree than bang your head against a wall continually.” — Rasheed Ogunlaru
79. “I go to the ocean to calm down, to reconnect with the creator, to just be happy.” — Nnedi Okorafor
80. “There are times when we stop, we sit still. We listen and breezes from a whole other world begin to whisper.” — James Carroll
Learn to Stay Calm For Your Kids Quotes
Are you a parent or grandparent? Do you show anger towards them? These quotes about calming down when angry remind us that little eyes are watching and learning. You have to model healthy emotional responses, so they can learn them too.
81. “You’ll have an unbelievable sense of calm when you have a baby.” — Ali Hewson
82. “I’ve deliberately tried to calm myself down because eventually I want to be a good role model to my kids.” — Robbie Williams
“My three children keep me calm.” — Jeremy Kyle
84. “The quieter you become, the more you can hear.” — Ram Dass
85. “One important reason to stay calm is that calm parents hear more. Low-key, accepting parents are the ones whose children keep talking.” — Mary Pipher
“Yelling silences your message. Speak quietly so your children can hear your words, not just your voice.” — L.R. Knost
87. “When you feel anger rising, take a deep breath and remember that your child is learning from you how to handle emotions.” — Unknown
89. “Children learn more from what you are than what you teach.” — W.E.B. Du Bois
90. “Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.” — Rumi
Remember This When You’re Angry
Do you need to learn how to manage your anger? Do your emotions take control of your behavior? May these inspirational quotes about staying calm help you to take steps to deal with your anger issues. Life’s too short to stay angry.
90. “Speak when you are angry – and you’ll make the best speech you’ll ever regret.” — Laurence J. Peter
“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.” — Buddha
👉🏽 RELATED POST: 129 Being Thankful Quotes
92. “Life is precious and there’s not a lot of room for anger.” — Fran Drescher
93. “Free your hearts of anxiety, pain and anger, to have peace within your heart and soul.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
94. “Where there is anger, there is always pain underneath.” — Eckhart Tolle
“Anger is a cover for fear.”― Donna Goddard
96. “For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
97. “Keep cool, anger is not an argument.” — Daniel Webster
98. “A samurai must remain calm at all times even in the face of danger.” ― Chris Bradford
99. “The best fighter is never angry.” ― Lao Tzu
👉🏽 RELATED POST: How to Stay Positive No Matter What
100. “Whoever is able to anger you is able to control you.” ― Lamine Pearlheart
“Hanging onto resentment is letting someone you despise live rent-free in your head.” — Esther Lederer
102. “Men in particular think that they have achieved something if they can make a woman mad, particularly if she is calm and intellectual.” — Martha Nussbaum
103. “What is bitterly done in uncontrolled anger cannot be undone.” ― Vinod Varghese Antony
“Getting angry in a stressful situation is like trying to clean something with dirt.” ― Urbanky Aurel Petru
105. “The greatest remedy for anger is delay.” ― Thomas Paine
Don’t React Or Respond Quotes
Can you hold your tongue in an argument? Are you able to just walk away from a fight? This final selection of quotes about calming down when angry encourages you to do nothing. Choose to de-escalate the situation and your emotions.
106. “Don’t try to force anything. Let life be a deep let-go. God opens millions of flowers every day without forcing their buds.” — Osho
107. “Do not learn how to react. Learn how to respond.” — Buddha
108. “Calmness is the key to mastering your emotions.” — Richelle E. Goodrich
“The measure of wisdom is how calm you are when facing any given situation.” — Naval Ravikant
110. “Remain calm, serene, always in command of yourself. You will then find out how easy it is to get along.” — Paramahansa Yogananda
111. “Calmness is the balance between a leader’s attitude and actions.” — Debasish Mridha
“Always ask yourself: “What will happen if I say nothing?” ― Kamand Kojouri
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Keep Moving Forward Quotes
113. “Life is ten percent what you experience and ninety percent how you respond to it.” ― Dorothy M. Neddermeyer
114. “The answer is never violence. Rather, the answer, our answer, all our answer must be action. Calm, peaceful, collaborative and determined action.” — Loretta Lynch
115. “But when I lose my temper, I find it difficult to forgive myself. I feel I’ve failed. I can be calm in a crisis, in the face of death or things that hurt badly. I don’t get hysterical, which may be masochistic of me.” — Emma Thompson
116. “Tell your husbands any bad news when everything is calm, not just as they come through the door.” — Indra Devi
“Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace.” — Dalai Lama
118. “Do not ever get agitated by provoking thoughts and actions. Always keep your calm. This will shame the alien.” — Lailah Gifty Akita
Free Printable Mindfulness Mantras
Ready to start calming down when angry? Get your 20 FREE Printable Mindfulness Mantra cards.
Life is full of challenges. No one ever said it would be easy, but we don’t have to make it more difficult by letting anger take control.
You have the power and the ability to stop letting everything and anything make you angry. Yes, you can’t control life and what happens to you, but you can always control your reaction and response.
Not only is learning how to calm down good for your mental health, but it’s good for your entire life and those around you.
The next time you feel yourself getting angry, pause, breathe, and challenge yourself to stay calm under pressure.
Enjoy the benefits that a calm mind brings.Constantly losing your cool? Need help calming the mind? Click here for 118 quotes about calming down when angry of freaking out. Don't et your emotions control you. #MentalHealth #KeepCalm #StayCalm #InnerPeace #DontPanic
What quotes about calming down when angry are most helpful?
Last Updated on May 27, 2023
Get Your 20 Mindfulness Mantras
Subscribe to our VIP newsletter, plus get the free affirmations.