Looking for new year reflection questions to ask yourself?
Want some questions to ask before the new year?
The new year is upon us with 365 days of possibilities and opportunities. The dawn of any new year always brings with it new questions.
Whether you’re wondering, what should my new year’s resolution be? Or what’s my new year goal?
Maybe you’re questioning the path you find yourself on. Time flies and before you realize it you could be living a life you’re not excited about.
Perhaps you’re not even sure who you are anymore. You don’t know what you want, what your passions or interests even are.
Plus, they’re perfect for new year’s eve or day conversation questions and answers. Together, we’ll explore the new year through the ten areas of your life to help make this your best year yet.
New Year Reflection Questions About 2021
The end of one year sparks the start of another. Before you can step into the new year, let’s take a moment to reflect upon the last. How was 2021, really? Use the following new year reflection questions to reflect upon your last year. Think of this as holding onto your best memories and lessons and carrying them with you into 2022.
- What are you most thankful for about this past year?
- What was the greatest lesson that you’ve learned this past year?
- What was the biggest challenge you overcame in 2021?
- List down the 3 best words that would describe this past year.
- What new skills, talents, or passions have you acquired in 2021?
- What goal(s) from last year are you proud to say that you’ve achieved?
- What was your most cherished memory from 2021?
- What was the best day for you in the last year? Describe it.
- Sing or write the lyrics to your favorite song from 2021.
- What advice would you give to yourself as you begin the New Year?
👉🏽 RELATED POST: How to Write a New Year's Resolution
With the last year firmly behind you, let’s explore the ten areas of your life, from all aspects of health and wellness to your professional, educational and financial life, as well as community and relationships.
New Year Reflection Questions for Health and Wellness
10 Healthy Living Questions to Answer
It should be no surprise to you the most common New Year’s Resolutions are related to health! We cannot help but start the new year thinking about whether we need to take better care of ourselves, start exercising, eat healthier foods, or get fit. It’s almost programmed into us to think about breaking bad habits. Health and wellness are more than this!
Whether you’re setting a new year’s fitness goal or not, use these new year reflection questions to think about your overall health and wellness. Your wellbeing extends to all aspects of health and includes things like self-care, skincare, sleep hygiene and even avoiding burnout at work.
Here are ten new year reflection questions for your overall health:
- What self-care practices supported your growth the past year?
- What did your daily routine look like this year? What would you change?
- List down 5 things that would help you commit to keeping a healthy mindset next year.
- What one bad habit do you need to unlearn for better health this new year?
- What one good habit you can develop to improve your health this new year?
- What 3 activities made you feel more energized this past year?
- Name good one thing you can do for your health in 2022?
- What do you plan to do to pamper yourself this new year?
- How did you prevent or recover from burnout this past year?
- In what ways will you manage your stress and anxiety in 2022?
👉🏽 RELATED POST: 60 Cheers to the New Year, New Beginnings Quotes
Let’s continue exploring all aspects of health, with ways to improve emotional wellbeing.
Emotional Wellbeing Reflection Questions:
So much of the new year is marked by emotions we feel for the new possibilities and opportunities that await us. We feel immense joy, elation, excitement, and even energy as the clock strikes the new year. We make new year’s resolutions, wishes, plans, and even set goals for how things will be better, what will change, what will be different.
Whether you’re looking to rediscover your passions, deal with unresolved issues from the past, build better relationships or maybe even fall in love, the new year is the perfect time to ponder.
Here are ten new year reflection questions for your emotional wellness:
- What matters most in your life right now and why?
- Think about the new year, what makes you the most excited?
- Is there anything unresolved from your past?
- What emotional triggers do you need to deal with in 2022?
- What emotions do you want to feel more of in the new year? List them.
- Is there any emotional baggage you should resolve?
- Jot down 5 things that would help you manage and handle anger and frustration.
- What regrets have you had in the past year?
- What made you laugh the hardest this year?
- How can you feel more emotionally balanced in the new year?
👉🏽 RELATED POST: 44 New Year Quotes for Friends and Family
Your exploration of all aspects of living healthy life also of course includes your mental health.
10 Mental Health New Year’s Reflection Questions:
Mental health is health. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. That means as you plan the new year, think about how you can prioritize your mental health as high as your physical health. Do you go to the gym? Do you eat healthily? That’s great, but don’t forget to also invest time into your mind as well.
As you answer these new year reflection questions, you’ll discover what mental health means to you. From finding ways to set boundaries with negative people, distancing yourself from a toxic workplace to learning to leave work at work or to put yourself first for once.
Here are ten new year reflection questions for your mental health and wellbeing:
- What worries you most about the new year?
- Did anything just feel like too much to handle?
- What healthy boundaries could you set at work or at home?
- Name 3 areas of your life that are the most consuming or stressful.
- What thoughts repeat the most in your mind?
- List three things or people you need to start saying no to.
- What makes you feel more present and mindful?
- How can you prioritize your mental health in the new year?
- What steps are you going to take to deal with stress in 2022?
- How can you relax your mind at the end of the day in the new year?
👉🏽 RELATED POST: 15 Ways to Prepare for a Successful New Year
We’re almost through all aspects of health and wellbeing, with spiritual health rounding out all aspects of our mind, spirit, and soul.
New Year Refletion Questions for Your Spirituality
Your spirituality is anything and everything you decide that it is. Whether that’s connecting with something greater than you, being surrounded by nature, and consuming with whomever you pray to. However you define your spirituality, it’s important to explore it with new year reflection questions.
Perhaps in 2022, you’re wondering how to become more spiritual, ways to count your blessings, looking for how to meditate as a beginner, or committed to being a more active member of your spiritual community.
Here are ten new year reflection questions for your spiritual wellbeing:
- In what way will you grow spiritually in 2022?
- Write down exactly whom or what you believe in.
- What burdens do you need to let go of before entering the new year?
- What was the biggest lesson your spirituality has taught you this year?
- How much time will you commit to spending in prayer or mediation?
- How can you become a more active member of your spiritual community?
- What are the 3 biggest blessings you received from this past year?
- Have you lost your faith in any way? If so, how can you regain it?
- Make a list of things you plan to surrender to a higher power this new year?
- What spiritual commitments are you making for 2022?
👉🏽 RELATED POST: 12 Tips for Keeping New Year Resolutions
Congratulations, you’ve explored all aspects of your health and wellbeing, beyond the typical definitions for the new year.
More New Year Reflection Questions
10 Questions for Your Home Life
With so many of us spending almost all our time at home, the home has become more than just where we eat and sleep. Our homes have become our workplaces, schools, and even daycares for some. So, how are things at home? Are you living alone or getting along with those you live with?
This new year, think about ways you can improve your home life. Whether that’s improving your bedroom so you can sleep better, starting an at-home project, creating a cozy at-home office, or perhaps learning how to work better at home with your kids.
Here are ten new year reflection questions for your home life:
- Use 3 words to describe the state of your home life.
- How do you relax and unwind at home?
- Where in your home is your go-to spot?
- What’s your best memory you’ve ever had in your home?
- How would you describe your relationship with your housemates?
- List 3 home renovation projects you’d like to do in the new year.
- Do you need to declutter your home in 2022?
- How can you improve your at home workspace?
- What is your morning and bedtime routine?
- What’s one way you can make your days better?
👉🏽 RELATED POST: 40 New Year’s Resolution Quotes
Home might be where the heart is, but work is often where our minds are most occupied.
Reflection Questions for Your Job and Career
The new year isn’t complete with some doubts and concerns about your professional life. Are you on the right career path? Do you hate your job and want to quit? Maybe thinking about starting a business? Seeing as you spend most of your waking hours working, we’ve got to talk about your job, career, and professional prospects.
It’s easy to get caught up and lose sight of your passions and dreams when you’re working a 9 to 5, especially so when you’re responsible for your family. That’s why at the start of a new year, it’s important to check in with yourself about your career.
Here are ten new year reflection questions for your career:
- How satisfied were you with your work this year?
- What could you do next year to become better at your job?
- What was the most enjoyable part of your work?
- What was the most challenging part of your job this past year?
- Who are your work friends and colleagues you enjoy the most?
- Are you still on the career path you desire? If not, what would you change?
- How would you improve your work-life balance in the new year?
- List down 3 new skills that you want to improve or develop.
- What areas would you improve to work better this new year?
- What strengths and experience do you bring to your job?
👉🏽 RELATED POST: How to Choose the Right New Year’s Resolution
Our careers and jobs are closely tied to our income and financial life. Let’s explore!
10 New Year Reflection Questions about Finances
Can you guess what the next most popular New Year’s Resolution ideas are? They’re all about money! Everyone wants to make more money, save more money, get out of debt, or a combination of the three. What about you? How are your finances heading into 2022?
There are many ways to reflect upon your financial circumstances. Perhaps you’d like to start financial planning, ready to build wealth as a beginner, want to pay off your credit cards, or even make money on the side.
Here are some new year reflection questions for your money:
- What is your financial goal for the new year?
- Which financial decision are you most proud in 2021?
- What is your daily, weekly and/or monthly spending budget?
- List down 3 things that you bought in 2021, but shouldn’t have?
- How can you create better spending habits in the new year?
- Describe the last time you felt guilty about an expense.
- What side hustles can you do to earn extra money?
- This new year, what are your plans to improve your financial life?
- What can you cut, to save more money in the new year?
- How can you start saving for retirement?
👉🏽 RELATED POST: 20 Financial Goals Examples for New Year
Cracking open the book and looking at your spending can be stressful. But, not focusing on your finances in the new year is a big mistake you do not want to make. When it comes to money, knowledge is power!
10 More Questions About Learning and Education
Learning does not stop when you get to graduate from college or get a job, it should continue. Life lessons are all around you if you have the wisdom to learn from them. It expands your mind, gives you something to work towards, and is so good for you.
Whether you’re thinking about starting a new hobby, improving your job skills, or perhaps deciding to learn from your mistakes, there are many ways to invest in your educational life in 2022. Not to mention all the things we discover about ourselves throughout the course of just living.
Here are ten new year reflection questions about learning:
- Do you think you have a fixed or a growth mindset?
- What do you want to discover about yourself in 2022?
- What have you always wanted to learn more about?
- Name a hobby you’d like to pick up again.
- What job related skills can you invest in learning?
- List 5 books you will read in 2022.
- Whats a course or program you’d like to enroll in?
- What mistakes did you make in the past, but will not repeat?
- List 3 things you’re curious about and want to learn more about.
- What subjects or courses did you like best in school?
👉🏽 RELATED POST: How to Start a Daily Journal
No matter how old you are it’s never too late to go back to school or to become a student again.
Student New Year Refection Questions
Are you in college, university, or even night school? Being a student is such a transformational time in your life. You’re living in this pocket of possibility, where you’re focused solely on working towards you better, brighter future. And going back to school, or campus, in the new year is a wonderful time.
Here are ten new year reflection questions for students:
- What academic goals can you set in the new year?
- What was your favorite subject and why?
- In your school, who has had the biggest impact on your life?
- List down the 3 most important things you learned so far.
- How can you improve your dorm room or study space?
- Do you feel as if you’re in the right program and why?
- List 5 people you can network with about career opportunities.
- Where do you want to work after you graduate?
- How can you make new friends in your program or class?
- What are your hopes for life after graduation?
👉🏽 RELATED POST: New Year’s Resolutions for College Students
2022 New Year Reflection Questions
10 Questions to Answer About Your Relationships
We are our relationships, we are who we spend time with. Our family, friends, and even our coworkers impact and influence us. No new year’s reflection can leave out the relationships in our lives. Past, present, or even future, these connections we share make life worth living.
Maybe you’re ready to let go of jealousy in your relationship, looking to put yourself out there in love and start dating again, want to improve communication, perhaps even focus on building better and stronger relationships in general.
Here are ten new year reflection questions for your relationships:
- List three people in your life you are thankful for.
- Who do you constantly argue with and what about?
- How did you handle the latest conflict you had with someone?
- With whom were your most valuable relationships?
- How can you be a better friend or partner in the new year?
- When was the last time you showed your loved ones you care?
- What relationship(s) do you hope to develop in 2022?
- How often did you say ‘I love you’ to your loved ones?
- List 3 ways that you can reconnect with lost friends this new year.
- How important is your happiness before anyone else?
Relationships are never easy, but they are always worthwhile. Move forth into the new year with love and openness in your heart. Remember, we’re all just people trying our best.
👉🏽 RELATED POST: End of Year Reflection Questions
New Year Reflection Questions About Community
We all belong somewhere. Whether to our physical neighborhoods, spiritual communities, national identities, or larger ethnic groups, the community is what binds us. What communities do you belong to? How can you connect with and be a part of them more in 2022?
Perhaps you can give back to your community, volunteer with local groups, host a fundraiser, or even just be more present and involved in whatever way possible. With the hard times, there is more need than ever for those who are willing to help. Perhaps you even feel lonely and isolated, but you’re not the only one.
Here are ten new year reflection questions for your community:
- What community do you most identify with and why?
- How have you contributed to this community in the past?
- Who is your favorite neighbor and why?
- What would you change in your neighborhood?
- What challenges have you encountered this past year in your area?
- When was the last time you helped a neighbor, how did it feel?
- What was your favorite local event that you’ve attended?
- List down 3 ways you can get more involved in your community.
- What projects or events do you want to engage in your area?
- How can you give back to your communitiy?
By focusing on our communal life, we are able to look beyond ourselves in the new year. So much of new year’s resolutions are just about ourselves, but we need each other, even more than ever.
Printable End of Year Reflection Template
Ready to do your new year reflection and review? Get your printable year review template with the top ten questions you need to ask yourself about last year, before starting the new year.
The new year is a time for more than just writing new year’s resolutions. It’s a chance for you to dig a bit deeper, to get to know yourself and reconnect with not just who you are, but who you want to be.
With the busyness of life, the repetition of days, it’s easy to forget and feel lost in the daily grind. With your winter break or Christmas vacations, it’s good to sit and reflect.
Figure out where you’ve been the last year, so you can go where you want in the next.
Be brave to ask the right new year reflection questions, so you can find the answers in 2022.
Wishing you a happy new year!
The new year is here, it's time to look ahead! Click here for 120 new year reflection questions to ask yourself before 2022. They're the perfect new year conversation starter. #YearInReview #GoalSetting #2022Goals #NewYears
What new year reflection questions will you ask yourself?
Last Updated on January 8, 2022