Are you looking for unique New Year’s Resolution ideas?
Want the ultimate New Year’s Resolution list for 2019?
Looking for New Year's Resolution ideas? Click here for the ultimate list of #NewYear2019 Ideas!Click To Tweet
As the New Year approaches, we all start thinking about the lives we wish we had.
Thinking about things we’d like to change and the steps we’d like to take towards living our best life.
Your first step to making 2019 your best year yet, is to choose the right New Year’s Resolution for you!
But where do you start?
You could choose one of the most common New Year’s Resolutions, like eating healthier, getting more exercise and saving more money.
I encourage you to go deeper and to set a unique New Year’s Resolution for you!
With ten possible areas of your life to focus on next year, you have the chance to choose a new year’s goal that’s just right for you! That actually matters and gets to the heart of what you want most.
Here are over 100 unique New Year’s resolution ideas for every area of your life to help you achieve your dream and goals this year!
#1. Your Physical Life:
New Year’s Resolution Ideas for Your Body and Overall Physical Health
How’s your health and how you are feeling physically? Have you been making healthy lifestyle excuses?
To focus on your body and physical health in 2019, consider New Years Resolution ideas that address what you eat and drink, your sleeping habits, the physical activities you do, your level of fitness and how well you care for your body and your health. You can reach your health and fitness goals this year!
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Healthy Habits List: 10 Small Changes with Big Results
Here’s a New Year’s Resolution list for improving your physical life:
- Detox or cleanse your body from sugars and toxins
- Pack healthy lunches and eat out less
- Drink more water and reduce caffeine intake
- Replace unhealthy eating habits with better ones
- Get more rest or improve your sleeping habits
- Start doing yoga at a local studio or online
- Take dance, martial arts or physical activity classes
- Get a personal trainer or a work out buddy
- Practice Tai Chi or another relaxing practice
- Develop a sacred self-care ritual for yourself
- Improve flexibility by stretching daily
- Diagnose an allergy by doing an elimination diet
- Train for a half-marathon, spartan ran, iron man or triathlon
- Start exercising for at least 30 minutes every day
- Quit smoking or drink less alcohol
#2. Your Emotional Life:
New Year’s Resolution Ideas for Your Emotions and Feelings
Do your emotions drive or drown you? How’s your emotional wellness?
To focus on your emotions and feelings in 2019, think of unique New Year’s Resolution ideas that address your emotional maturity and awareness, how you embrace or ignore your emotions and how these emotions affect your behavior.
👉🏽 RELATED POST: 40 Inspirational New Year’s Resolution Quotes
Here’s a New Year’s Resolution list for improving your emotional life:
- Be more open to feeling and expressing your emotions to those in your life
- Gain the courage to face your fears
- Let go of whatever is holding you back from living your life to the fullest
- Confront your past by cleaning out the skeletons
- Start seeing a therapist to work through your emotions
- Learn new stress management or coping techniques
- Seek professional help for your panic and anxiety attacks
- Be brave and start leaving your comfort zone by trying new things
- Learn to express emotions appropriately and your improve interpersonal skills
- Join an emotional support group at your church, school, workplace or community
- Increase your emotional intelligence (EQ), i.e. your empathy, impulses, how you express emotions and so on. Take the EQ Test here.
#3. Your Mental Life:
New Year’s Resolution Ideas for Your Mind, Memory and Thought Life
How’s your mind and mental life right now? Is your mind clear and focused, or chaotic and scattered?
To focus on your mind, memory and thought life in 2019, consider these New Year’s Resolution ideas for your internal thought life, from the nature of thoughts and how you process information to your mental capacity, problem-solving abilities and the engagement of your mind.
Here’s a New Year’s Resolution list for improving your mental life:
- Embrace self-love by loving and accepting yourself more
- Stop negative self-talk and silence your inner critic
- Start a daily journal or blog to improve your mental health
- Learn to be more optimistic and be more positive
- Replace your negative thoughts with positive ones
- Resolve to complain less and appreciate life more
- Practice daily gratitude and thanksgiving
- Start spending more time alone with yourself
- Disconnect from social media and technology
- Stop procrastinating and commit to getting things done
- Boost your self-confidence and improve your self-esteem
- Learn to say no more and say yes to yourself instead
- Strengthen your sense of imagination and creativity
👉🏽 RELATED POST: 12 Easy Ways to Spring Clean Your Mind
#4. Your Educational Life:
New Year’s Resolution Ideas for Your Knowledge and Learning
Are you still learning new things? Do you feel engaged and like you’re still growing?
In order to focus on your educational life in 2019, consider these New Year’s Resolution ideas for continuing your learning and expanding your knowledge, from formal institutions, online courses, reading books or even from on-the-job or real-world experience.
Here’s a New Year’s Resolution list for improving your educational life:
- Take an online course in a subject that interests you
- Upgrade your employable skills through training or mentorship
- Learn a new language with Duolingo or taking a class
- Join a study or mastermind group in your field
- Improve your artistic skill by learning to paint, draw or sculpt
- Develop your financial literacy through reading or training
- Reach out on LinkedIn and set up discover interviews with professionals in a field that interests you
- Seek out and hire a mentor or get a coach
- Go to night school and take a continuing education course
- Join Toastmasters and improve speaking skills
- Find an internship or volunteer learning position
#5. Your Experiential Life:
New Year’s Resolution Ideas for Your Experiences from Every Day to the Extraordinary
What have you always wanted to do? How can you improve your everyday life?
Consider that life is all about experiences, good, boring or bad, from amazing adventures, traumatic events, and even the day-to-day.
Here’s a New Year’s Resolution list for improving your experiential life:
- Take basic or wildness survival skills training near you
- Learn how to DIY or make your own anything (crafts, furniture, baked goods, clothing etc.)
- Get off the sofa and do more things just for the fun of it
- Travel more or less by plane, car, train, boat or bus
- Develop a better morning, daily or nightly routine
- Read a new book every week or month
- Adopt or rescue a pet from a local or international shelter
- Clean out your closet and create a capsule wardrobe
- Do something that scares you
- Find a hobby that interests you and brings you joy
- Spend more time doing what you love
- Declutter your living space or embrace the minimalist lifestyle
- Go to more concerts, festivals or events
👉🏽 RELATED POST: Why You Need to Review Your Year
#6. Your Professional Life:
New Year’s Resolution Ideas for Your Career, Job, Position, and Livelihood
Is your career stagnant? What’s the next move you can take or have always wanted to take?
Consider whether you’re valued and appreciated at work if you’re accomplishing your professional goals, the quality of your work environment and the opportunities available to you.
Here’s a New Year’s Resolution list for improving your professional life:
- Polish up your resume and apply for new jobs
- Hire a recruiter or a headhunter
- Network more within your industry or field
- Escape your toxic work environment
- Get that promotion you’ve always wanted
- Find a new position that you’re actually passionate about
- Leave the 9 to 5 and become your own boss
- Work for a company or organization that you admire
- Be appreciated for your contributions to your workplace
- Start a freelancing or consulting business
- Turn your hobby or talent into a business
- Make extra money from a side-hustle
- Improve your job performance or skills
- Start a business that you love
#7. Your Financial Life:
New Year’s Resolution Ideas for Your Money, Wealth and Financial Habits
What does your spending say about you? What do you need to earn or save to meet your financial goals?
Consider not just how much you’re worth or have in the bank, but also your possessions as they’re tied to your finances and can be assets or liabilities to your bottom line.
Here’s a New Year’s Resolution list for improving your financial life:
- Create a budget for your spending and stick to it
- Learn to live on less and start spending more frugally
- Put your credit cards on ice and start using cash only
- Save for your emergency fund (3-6 months of income)
- Improve your credit score by building up your credit
- Repay or refinance your student loans
- Consolidate or refinance your high-interest loans
- Speak to a financial advisor
- Manage your money from your side-job better
- Plan and start saving for retirement
- Take a financial literacy course
- Open a Tax Free Savings Account or Mutual Fund
- Clear your credit card debt
- Increase your assets and reduce your liabilities
- Learn about the stock market and invest
- Pay off your car payments
- Donate to a worthy cause you care about
#8. Your Communal Life:
New Year’s Resolution Ideas for You in Relation to Your Community
Where do you belong? How can you get involved? How can you get to know your community better?
Consider that your community is whatever you would define it as, it can be your city, neighborhood, school or place of work. It can also be online or in-person.
Here’s a New Year’s Resolution list for improving your communal life:
- Join online communities that interest you
- Sign up for Meet Up and attend more events
- Participate in local community events
- Socialize with your community members or neighbors more
- Start a community project
- Found or join a community organization
- Join a social committee at your school, work or place of worship
- Run for local government or support a local candidate
- Work or volunteer at local elections offices
- Support or fundraise for local food banks
- Volunteer at your local soup kitchen
- Organize donations for local charity or shelter
- Participate in neighborhood clean-up or adopt a road project
- Volunteer to be a crossing guard or join a neighbourhood watch
#9. Your Relational Life:
New Year’s Resolution Ideas for Your Relationships with Others
Is there a type of relationship you hope to develop?
Consider the quality of your relationships with family, friends, partners, and colleagues, as well as how you can improve or invest in them.
Here’s a New Year’s Resolution list for improving your relational life:
- Disconnect from online and unplug more
- Start putting gadgets away when with friends and family
- Tell someone that you love or care for them
- Start having regular date nights with your partner
- Have more “no kids” time to reconnect
- Call, Skype or FaceTime your relatives more often
- Go home and visit your parents/grandparents
- Schedule regular dates with those close to you
- Invest more time in your relationships
- Institute weekly or monthly family dinners
- Reconnect with lost friends and broken relationships
- End toxic or negative relationships
- Build a supportive entourage or squad
- Find a new pen-pal or foreign correspondent
- Start dating more and find a significant other
👉🏽 RELATED POST: How to Choose the Right New Year’s Resolution
#10. Your Spiritual Life:
New Year’s Resolution Ideas for Your Connection to Something Greater
How can you deepen this connection? Are you at peace? Do you need to become more spiritual?
Consider that something greater is defined as you see it: God, heaven, the universe, cosmic energy, the environment, mother nature, and so on. It’s however, you see yourself inside or in relation to something greater.
Here’s a New Year’s Resolution list for improving your spiritual life:
- Join or return to your spiritual community
- Join a prayer or meditation group
- Add regular prayer/meditation time to your daily routine
- Fast or give up pleasures for a time
- Learn to meditate and start a daily meditation practice
- Frequent a place of worship
- Serve or volunteer more in your religious community
- Read religious text more often
- Grow your understanding through books, videos or podcasts
- Find a spiritual guide, leader or mentor
- Become a more active member of your spiritual community
- Reconnect with nature and the outdoors
- Find inner peace and happiness
- Achieve balance and harmony with nature
What Should My New Year’s Resolution Be?
So many New Year’s Resolution ideas, how do you choose?
Take the New Year’s Resolution Quiz to discover what area of your life you should focus on.
What’s your unique New Year’s Resolution idea?